Sunday, March 6, 2011
At the Narita san temple complex, the structures testify on the historical opulence and importance of the temple, with the most prominent being the Shinshoji main hall, covered on the previous post. The surrounding structures are of not less importance and stand out on its own by merit of their beauty, and importance.
The Shakado hall (former main hall), standing next to the main hall, is a wooden structure erected in 1858, designated an important cultural property and a truly characteristic structure of the late Edo period.
The Gakudo hall is normally a very small and austere structure, The Naritasan one built in 1861, considering the size and detailed decorations, give evidence on the profound devotion to Buddhism in earlier times. This structure has also been designated an important cultural property.
The Kyomodo hall an earlier main hall built in 1701; the features of the structure are representative of the mid-Edo period.
The great Pagoda of peace was erected quite recently, in 1984, in prayer of world peace, with 58m of height the structure is enormous, note the size of the people walking around the structure.
Other structures are the Seiryu Gongen Dou hall built in 1732, the Kaizandou closed to the public, and the Shussei Inari shrine (this shrine is not part of Naritasan, eventhough is in the same location).
View Naritasan in a larger map