The temple Kita-in in Kawagoe it is believed to have been founded in 830 by monk Ennin, burned down in 1205, the temple was rebuilt in 1296. The temple was patronized by the Tokugawa shoguns, and after another fired destroyed the temple in 1638, Iemitsu Tokugawa transferred part of the Edo castle to kita-in. These buildings are the only surviving of the castle after the damage to Tokyo during grand Kanto earthquake.
One of the rooms is believe to be the one where Iemitsu was born.
The tahoto pagoda built in 1639, was moved several times, until finally being set to its current location in 1973.
The Jingendo, located in a hill was built by order of ieyasu in 1645 it is considerate an important cultural asset.
View Kita-in temple in a larger map