Friday, January 21, 2011

Okage Yokocho in Naiku Ise shrine

DSC_0828
DSC_0803
An added bonus to visiting Ise jingo naiku is that a walk into the village Okage Yokocho always follows it. The village buildings are constructed and kept to reproduce the ambient of early Meiji period.

DSC_0809
DSC_0810
The village originally built by the “Akafuku” confectionary company in gratitude to the Ise shrine. Most of visitors to Okage yokocho normally will include a visit to one of the store to taste the famous mochi (Japanese rice cakes) with green tea.

DSC_0816
DSC_0823
DSC_0821
Although some places are only a façade (the bank and post office), most of the places are real buildings built the traditional way. I was pleasantly surprised when I used the back exit, to find the beautiful gardens hidden at the back of some stores. Visitors in a hurry will surely miss these hidden gems (I did in my previous visit).

DSC_0797
DSC_0802
DSC_0833
DSC_0832
Although the village is small, I will end up visiting only a handful of stores, before closing time. In any case it gives me a good excuse to visit again.


Español

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post - and I have to say that I like where you're taking your photographic skills. Very nice work.

islandjp said...

Thanks, Always trying to do something new.